I was lucky enough to have some words read at her side since I couldn't be there (by Jana Miles her childhood friend) I know this time is so hard for all of us but we have this hope and I can't wait to see her smiling face again when Jesus comes to take us all home:) Revelation 21:4. This was my honor and privildege to have given at her service;
Daphne's joy was something that could not be suppressed. From the day I met her in Gymmaster tryouts I caught sight of her spunk and "smirky" smile. As the months passed and I struggled through the first year of being a gymmaster Daphne always had a word of encouragment for me or a punch in the arm to smarten up :) Through our years at Southern Daphne and I made a lot of memories. They all encompass a lot of smiles and laughing as that seemed to be the theme of her life. I remember meeting her at Acrofest after we found out that she had joined the Gymnix Gymnastics team at Andrews. Feeling a bit hurt that she would join another team I joked with her and said "So who's the traitor now?" she gave me a punch in the arm and said "Hey! we're all on the same team:)" She was right. And she was right on a much deeper level than just gymnastics. We are all in this fight we call life we call life, on the same team, going towards the same goal. I know that when I first heard the news of her passing the first picture that came to my mind was one I had taken of her on one of our numerous gymnastic tours. Her head thrown back with laughter, the sun on her face, and her eyes closed as if soaking in the joy of the sunshine. My heart still breaks, the pain is still very real and the tears still flow but that is how I will remember Daphne. With a smile on her face and a song in her heart. She lived a life of faith. Faith that denied the grim days of chemo treatment and hospital beds. I watched Daphne's funeral from across the sea and longed to be with those who mourned her loss yet still holding tight to that hope that we have we will all see her one day again. I know that this poem was already read from Brittany Jacobson at her funeral but it fit so perfectly I want to remind all those feeling their hearts breaking from this loss to hear it once again....
You can shed tears that she is gone,
or you can smile because she lived.
You can close your eyes and pray that she'll come back,
or you can open your eyes and see all that she's left.
Your heart can be empty because you can't see her,
or you can be full of the love you shared.
you can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday,
or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.
You can remember her only that she is gone,
or you can cherish her memory and let it live on.
You can cry and close your mind, be empty and turn your back,
or you can do what she'd want;
Smile, open your eyes, love and go on. <3
I love you Daphne
Daphne Knecht January 28, 2012


No comments:
Post a Comment