Saturday, October 1, 2011

Honestly I'm struggling.

The words seem to escape me as I try to manage blogging again. I guess it can just start with me now.
My last blog had the title of "A year in Pohnpei" oh if I only knew now what I know that sentence would be drastically altered to "A month in Pohnpei". But what an amazing month that was. If all I can hold onto now is 31 days then I am holding on till my knuckles turn white and my breath stops. I was teaching Highschool Health, computers II and Girls HS PE.


 My Girls from Pohnpei PE. (with all the equipment that Coach, Dr. Garver/Southern sent us!!!!)


I loved my students, loved the place, loved the people and loved my fellow serving SM's. Was excited to spend a year growing, serving, and stretching. Little did I know the growing was just beginning.

Now I look back and see it as only a memory. Currently I am serving as a HS/elementary school teacher in Yap Micronesia. Moving islands was one of and continues to be the hardest trial in my life. The pain of false accusation and the hurt of a huge loss never fully heals and will always leave a scar on my heart. Being here is a daily fight, a hourly controversy between self and God. I gave my year of service to Him thinking it would be in Pohnpei but boy was I wrong. I gave Him this year, no restrictions, so here I am. Continueing to serve dispite the devils effort through human mistakes to place me here. The anger lingers and still stings. The bitterness flashed in the background.

Coming here I've learned two things; life is hard and humans make mistakes (then ended up hurting me). I have already rotated through three classrooms here in Yap. Starting off as a 2nd grade teacher I taught in Kirsten Wolcotts classroom (a SM who was killed here two years ago from Southern Adventist University) In fact I did more than just teach in her classroom; I went through her folders to find worksheets for my kids, shop where she shopped, go by where she was found, am living in her room/apartment, run where she ran (on campus), play with the dogs she played with (who are much bigger now) and experience her life here in Yap.

The second graders:)


Second week here one of the SM's is hospitilized for appedisitis and another SM arrives to take the 2nd graders for the rest of the year. Thanks Jesse!! I was put into her classroom to teach the 3rd graders in the morning and take High school PE and health in the afternoons. I can finally breath a bit easier. High school is my element. I love teaching HS. Elementary school teachers are very special people and deserve all the admiration this world has to offer!! I appologize to any of my elementary school teachers if I EVER DID anything wrong! I am so sorry. Now I am being punished lol.


3rd Graders:)

So now I've finished my second week of teaching gr. 3 in the mornings and I am so drained! There are moments that I love them and more moments that they drive me insane!

I took a quick two day stop in Kindergarten. They make the second and third graders look like angels! One problem I had was that they don't really speak english so it was VERY hard to communicate with them. Four of them running around screaming, throwing flash cards, tossing blocks, putting play dough EVERYWHERE and me just running around after them trying to get them to stop screaming and cleaning up the mess they've left behind.

Here they look so cute! and they really are:) just a bit of a handful:):)

So as I wrap up a month in Yap I look back and see a rollercoaster of emotions, tears and heartache. A new start, a new island. Almost like two SM experiences in one year. A drastic change to this island but I'm here now. And as I look into this coming week I see more changes. Office/Library and HS PE and Health.

I can't even express how grateful I am for the support and encouragement I have recieved from those at home. (Canada and Southern:) I wouldn't still be here in Yap today if it wasn't for those who messaged me, emailed me, kept me going, listened to me, talked with me, skyped with me, supported me, sent me packages...and the list goes on. I know now who truley cares for me. Those who have taken the time to message me even in thier very busy lives. Thank you so much! I know that people are busy but there are some who stopped their lives just to let me know I matter to them and to God.


So here goes another week. one day at a time. 

1 comment:

  1. Those kids are cute. Especially the Kindergarteners. It's hard to believe those faces can be such terrors...

    I hate that you've had to move around so much. Even still. I just want you to be able to settle in and know what you're going to be doing for the rest of the year...

    ReplyDelete